When an app is not responding and if you are not even able to close it, then force quit the app is the only option left to do. There are multiple ways to force quit an app. In this article, we are going to explain in detail how to force quit an app on Mac.
How to force quit an app on Mac using Keyboard shortcut:
This is the fastest way to force quit an app on Mac. Follow the below steps to do it.
- You need to press and hold the Command + option+ Esc at the same time on your keyboard.
- Now the force quit window will open instantly. Hold the keys until this window opens.
- Look out for the name of the frozen app and select it.
- Now tap on Force exit.
- That’s it. The unresponsive app will be closed now.
How to force quit on Mac using Apple Menu:
Follow the below steps in order to force quit an app on mac using the Apple menu.
- On the top left corner of your screen, you will find the Apple logo. Click on it.
- On the drop-down window, you will be able to see the Force Quit option. Click on it
- Now a new window will open with the list of frozen apps.
- Tap on the app you want to force quit now.
- Now click on the Force quit option.
- A pop-up window will open asking you to confirm the action. Confirm it by clicking on the ‘Force quit’ option.
Follow the below steps to force quit an app on Mac from the Dock.
- On the dock, you will be able to see the app icon which you want to force quit.
- Now, Right-click on the icon. A pop-up menu will open with few options.
- Without disrupting the pop-up menu, press and hold the Option key on your keyboard. By doing this, the Quit option on the pop-up menu will automatically change into Force quit option.
- Now click on it to force quit the app.
Using Activity monitor:
Follow the below steps to force quit using activity monitor:
- On the dock, you will be able to see an icon that is half blue and half white coloured. This is a finder tool. Click on it.
- On the left side of the Finder window, you will be able to see four options. Click on the Applications folder. Or else you open this by pressing and holding command + shift + A.
- Now click on the Utilities folder. You can open this by pressing and holding command + shift + A.
- Now, look out for the Activity monitor and click on it.
- In the next window, you will be able to see the list of processes that are currently running on your Mac.
- Now, tap on the app you want to force quit.
- After that, click on the X button which is located at the left top corner of the window.
- A confirmation pop-up will open asking you to confirm the action. Click on the ‘ Quit’ option.
Hope we have covered everything in detail about how to force quit an app on Mac. If you have any issues regarding the above article, just comment below your queries. We will get back to you with the solution as soon as possible.